Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Heroes Have Always Been Monsters Part 31


 

After Treasure Island and a massive book about Greek mythology, the best book in my elementary school's library was a history of monsters in film. I don't remember the title, but it covered all the Universal monsters, The Fly, Godzilla, even Blackula. I checked the book out many times, rereading each entry and drawing all the beasts. When I was younger I had Frankenstein, Mummy, and Godzilla toys, but the one character in the book that I found most interesting and always wanted a figure of was The Creature From The Black Lagoon. For whatever reason The Creature really sparked my imagination. I already had a lust for the sea with all it's potential adventure (Treasure Island) and danger (Jaws). My early short stories were all about pirates and sea monsters, remote uncharted islands and mercenaries.
I never lost my love for the Creature and always hoped for an updated film, nothing ever happened, but Creature like rip offs aren't exactly in short supply.



The Monster Squad certainly has the best Creature, look at that face! This guy needed way more screen time.














Humanoids From The Deep is one that I nearly missed. Someone suggested it as a joke, I groaned and suggested Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. My friend read the back and said, "No, I really think we should get this one." I thought it was going to suck, but you really need to see this one! Check out the trailer-





Here's one I haven't seen yet, but read about through someone else's blog (if I can remember the name I'll add it in here with the link.)















The most recent entry into the fish man genre is the excellent Hypothermia, which I've reviewed below. Highly recommended!





One of my childhood desires came to fruition on my birthday last week when my wife and son got me the new Mego style Creature to go with my Batman, Frankenstein and the Bride. I still have hope of a modern day take on the original movie, but until then I'll just have to be happy with Universal's Creature Legacy DVD. And this awesome Bernie Wrightson pin up I got out of From Parts Unknown-


Keep watching the sky, nerds!


No comments:

Post a Comment